After the water drained out, things didn't look that bad.
But, there was tons of water in all the walls and everything was getting moldy.
Ah, the beauty of the old bathroom...
The cabinet was way soggy, but still everything looked pretty good.
The first insurance adjuster didn't believe that the exterior walls were wet, but it was pretty easy to look and see ;-).
After the flood, before most of the demolition. You can see how cupped the floor boards were - it was actually very strange to walk on.
Shot of the old kitchen, as we started to get stuff dried out.
I'm not going to miss that cooktop.
The hallway was a river, and we had a few test holes in the wall - yup, they were wet too.
After we took the hardwoods up by the bathroom, Bruce tested the sub floor under the tile for moisture - yup, it was soaked as well.
It all started in the master bathroom, but the room itself was pretty much unscathed, just had to replace the floor underlayment.
The old wood floors in the living room. These were the most OK, but still quite warped.
Under the waterproof tile and grout, the wood was 30% water!
The main visual damage directly from the water is it took down some of the ceiling in the hallway.
A view down, from the attic. This sheetrock was removed by the water.
This sheetrock (and the floor) was removed by Bruce.
View from the kitchen to the back bedroom. No more pesky need to go through doors - right through the walls worked fine.
Bathroom vanity. You can see the mold on the part standing up.
Laundry room with wet sheetrock and soggy laundry sink out.
Everything had to go somewhere. Best not to use that toilet...
The old cast iron tub had to go in pieces. I'm really really glad I wasn't involved.
Old tub before removal.
View from kitchen to bedrooms and bath (and attic).
Ah, look at that beautiful hallway! The new window is now visible on the left, though. Actual progress toward something good is now visible. If you look real carefully.
Another view of the hallway.
Downstairs bedroom. You can see the back of the cedar wall in the entry on the left. Thankfully none of the cedar was hosed by the water.
The cabinet that used to be over the island in the kitchen, complete with mold on the bottom.
Look, more wet stuff, even a couple of months after...
Bathroom vanity on its way out.
Functional, if lacking in privacy.
Less functional now. Perhaps we're in France?
Temporary wall to support attic while Bruce framed in header for the new kitchen window (the old one had a post right in front of the sink).
New hardwoods now in the dining room!
And new hardwoods in the hallway. Complete with very handsome hardwood floor installation (and sometime software design) guy.
Plasterboard up and taped. This is about how Susan first saw it (although I took up the craft paper protecting the floor).
Toilet downstairs now both functional and private. And sitting on new travertine floor. Handwashing still relegated to the laundry room.
Bruce had lots of visitors in his stay. This guy repeated would come over, figure out where things were happening, and take a dump in the middle of the action. Must be an island thing...
Bruce's folks came up to help!
Bruce's mom painting trim for the cabinet installation.
Big new fridge almost ready to slide in.
Lots of doors sunning themselves in the kitchen. Dig the shabby-chic kitchen lights.
Gordon at the old table, but in front of the new fireplace.
New twin bedroom.
New queen bedroom.
Hallway with window on the left and new floors.
Kitchen with walnut snack bar in place but blocked up so I could put the legs under it.
Now there's a toilet, privacy, and you can wash your hands. Just like uptown.